Thursday, November 12, 2009

Learning to Surf, so I can shoot it

I've never been an athlete but have always been drawn to the ocean. I was pushed on a surfboard a couple months back and now I'm consumed by the idea that maybe I could become good at a "sport" and in turn tap into a whole different realm of shooting...stay tuned. Surfing (and surf photography) seems indeed a "dudes" world. I was energized by the long list of photo contributions in Surfer magazine recently, 99% men..okay, perhaps a few unisex names. Not unusual for my industry in general. Recently while shooting for the Miami Dolphins, an ongoing freelance gig, I found myself opposite the mass of paparazzi, all men. In fairness, I have always been surrounded by talented women in the field but one can't help but notice the numbers on a typical job. Attempting surfing has been much of the same findings. On a recent trip to Panama I found my self being pummeled by Pacific waves repeatedly, extremely painful. Looking around, I was the only chic in the water that day. My first time on a board all I could do is accidentally body surf. As I rode my first wave on my belly I looked around me and there to my surprise were 2 little girls under the age of 10 standing on their boards catching the same wave as me (or I as them). I believe it possible that a girl can surf and I could become strong enough to lug my gear and/or a board, shoot and find a style that's my own. 1st Surf then acquire camera housing...that's the plan. W H A T E V E V E R. I'm just gonna make art with the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment